Friday, December 10, 2021

RIP: MICHAEL NESMITH



The Monkees singer and guitarist Michael Nesmith, whose band exploded in popularity in the 1960s, has died, his manager said Friday.

"It is with deep sadness that I mark the passing of Michael Nesmith. We shared many travels and projects together over the course of 30 years, which culminated in a Monkees farewell tour that wrapped up only a few weeks ago," Andrew Sandoval said on Twitter.

The Monkees grew in popularity after the four-person group was in a TV show "The Monkees" about a rock 'n' roll band.

The band's hits included "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville," "I'm a Believer," "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and "Valerie."


The group split in 1971. Although other members of the group had participated in reunion tours, Nesmith had not up until 2012.

Nesmith said back then of the reunion: "I never really left. It is a part of my youth that is always active in my thought and part of my overall work as an artist. It stays in a special place. But like things in the past it fades in and out in relevance to activities that are current. Getting together with old friends and acquaintances can be very stimulating and fun and even inspiring to me. We did some good work together and I am always interested in the right time and the right place to reconnect and play."

Sandoval also said Friday of Nesmith's passing, “I am positive the brilliance he captured will resonate and offer the love and light towards which he always moved. Nez expressed the highest part of his being through his voice. And you could get no closer to him then through knowing his work. May all those who loved him feel his comfort at this time — just listen and he will be there for you.”

Sandoval then quoted the talented musician’s own lyrics from “I'll Remember You.”

“Thank you for the times you gave me, thank you for the tears you saved me, please take this song as my thanks to you.”

With Nesmith's death Micky Dolenz is now the only surviving member of the pop band. Davy Jones died in 2012 of a heart attack. Peter Tork died of cancer in 2019

He said in a statement Friday: "I’m heartbroken. I’ve lost a dear friend and partner. I’m so grateful that we could spend the last couple of months together doing what we loved best — singing, laughing, and doing shtick. I’ll miss it all so much. Especially the shtick. Rest in peace, Nez."

Dolenz ended the statement, "All my love, Mick."



No comments:

Post a Comment