Sunday, May 30, 2021

RECENTLY VIEWED: CRUELLA

With the pandemic, 2020 was pretty much a wasted year for going to the movies. Right when the pandemic was breaking out, I saw a rerelease of 1933's King Kong but that was about it for movies in 2020. Fast forward to this year, and I returned to the movies to see Godzilla VS Kong - which was pretty good. My poor daughter who is a movie fan like me, has not seen a movie in theater's since 2019's Frozen 2. This weekend was saw Disney's Cruella together to kick off our joint return to the movies, and we were glad we picked this movie!

Cruella (stylized onscreen as Cruella de Vil) is a 2021 American crime comedy film based on the character Cruella de Vil from Dodie Smith's 1956 novel The Hundred and One Dalmatians and Walt Disney's 1961 animated film adaptation. The film is directed by Craig Gillespie with a screenplay by Dana Fox and Tony McNamara, from a story by Aline Brosh McKenna, Kelly Marcel, and Steve Zissis. It is the third live-action adaptation in the 101 Dalmatians franchise. Emma Stone stars as the title character, with Emma Thompson, Joel Fry, Paul Walter Hauser, Emily Beecham, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, and Mark Strong in supporting roles. Set in London during the punk rock movement of the 1970s, the film revolves around Estella, an aspiring fashion designer, as she explores the path that will lead her to become a notorious up and coming fashion designer known as Cruella de Vil.


Walt Disney Pictures announced the film's development in 2013, with Andrew Gunn as producer. Stone was cast in 2016 and also serves as an executive producer on the film alongside Glenn Close, who portrayed Cruella in the previous live-action adaptations, 101 Dalmatians (1996) and 102 Dalmatians (2000). Principal photography took place from August and November 2019 in England.

Cruella premiered in Los Angeles on May 18, 2021, the first major red carpet event since the COVID-19 pandemic began, and was released in the United States theatrically and simultaneously available on Disney+ with Premier Access on May 28. The film received praise from critics for Gillespie's direction, the performances (particularly Stone, Thompson, and Hauser), costume design, and soundtrack, but criticism for its screenplay.


Emma Stone was perfectly cast as Cruella. Emma Thompson was great as the equally crazy Baroness. Emma Thompson had a role in another Disney movie. She starred in 2017's live action Beauty And The Beast as Mrs. Potts. Stone and Thompson really made this movie, and the soundtrack almost stole the film. The soundtrack featured a lot of good music from Tony Martin to Doris Day, and from Judy Garland to the Rolling Stones. I'm so glad things are getting better in the world, and a day at the movies is a sign of a return to normalcy. During the pandemic, I spent a lot more time with my children, and I got to know my daughter more. I know why she is attracted to characters like Cruella. Like Cruella, my daughter is smart and brillant but also slightly crazy! This was a great movie to see, and I recommend it!

MY RATING: 10 out of 10



1 comment:

  1. I'm extremely jealous. As someone bordering on age 70, one of ( if not 'the') my favorite films is the 1933 version of "King Kong". I have seen it literally countless times, first seeing it on television in probably 1958 or '59. Every time I've watched it something new amazes me. I thought I would never have the opportunity to see it on a big screen, which I never had. When I found that Fathom Events was going to be showing it in my area in March 2020. I was overjoyed. Then Covid struck. I wasn't able to chance a viewing being in the age group that was vulnerable, so yes, this comment has nothing to do with "Cruella" but my jealousy, over your ability to see "King Kong" on a big screen. Lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete