Tuesday, July 12, 2011

MISSED OBITS: TONY MARTIN JR.


When looking for stories about classic Hollywood, a lot of the stories appear for one day and get forgotten, or they get buried all together. I was saddened to just discover that tragedy has entered singer Tony Martin's life again.

The only son that Tony had with wife and dancer Cyd Charisse passed away at the age of 60 on April 10, 2011. Tony Martin Jr. was born on August 28, 1950 in Los Angeles, California to two of the most talented people in Hollywood. Tony Martin was a big band singer, live performer, and movie star since the mid 1930s. Cyd Charisse was one of the best dancers of Hollywood's golden age. She was a popular dancer in MGM musicals from 1946 to 1957.


Tony Martin Jr. was a musican, who married beauty starlet Liv Lindeland-Martin. Liv was originally from Norway and a popular Playboy playmate. It is not known if they had any children together.

I have not discovered the cause of death, but it was reported that Tony Martin Jr had been in ill health for years, and his parents had to pay most of the medical bills. It was also reported that Tony Jr was in a car accident in 2001, but I am not sure if that contributed to his death.

This is the second sad death that the elder Tony Martin, who is now 97, has had to deal with. Cyd Charisse passed away on June 17, 2008. Tony Martin Jr. is survived by his wife, his father, and his step brother Nico Charisse...

9 comments:

  1. I went to boarding school with Tony Martin Jr., must have been the 8th grade.

    After graduation a group of students and I traveled in a bus together across the US and visited Tony at his parent's house in Los Angeles. Could have been Beverly Hills.

    I recall that his father had a draft beer spout coming right out of the outside wall of the house, near the pool. For a 16 y/o that was pretty special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the story. I would love to learn more about Tony Jr. Supposedly his last few years were not good. I head he was a musician as well.

    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was Tony's drummer in 1974 when he and Guy Finley were signed to Motowns Mowest label and had Dazzle 'em in Footwork out. We rehearsed with Bob Gaudio (Four Seasons-Jersey Boys fame) in Guy's basement in Benedict Cyn.Guy's roommate at the time was Desi Arnaz, jr. Once while I was upstairs the phone rang and Guy asked me to answer it. It was Lucille Ball asking for Desi who was not there at the time. It was an amazing time! Just think, I talked to Lucy!!! My brother was so jealous when I told him. My name is Debi Drums Pomeroy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I searched for info about Tony Martin, Jr., and found nothing beyond notices of his passing. Amazing that there is nothing even though he cam from such a famous family.
    I only found one picture of him with his mother at:

    http://live-imagecollect.s3.amazonaws.com/preview/560/08b93966dce3a22

    To bad friends didn't create a memorial site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met and became friends with Tony Jr. While he was living in the Big Island of Hawaii back in the Nineties.
    We spent many nights at my home with Tony on the piano and I in the Drums! He was gifted on the Piano
    He bought my big screen tv ( in their infant age) and put it in his bedroom that was all tv then. God bless his wife.
    Glad I knew ya Tony!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I DATED TONY WHEN I WAS LIVING IN MALIBU WITH MY SISTER. WE WOULD GO TO HIS HOUSE IN BEVERLY HILLS AND THEY HAD AN ORIENTAL COUPLE AS HOUSEKEEPERS. THEY WERE VERY NICE AND LOVED TONY. WE HAD A PARTY ONE NIGHT AND HE SHOWED OFF ALL OF THE GREAT ART HE HAD PURCHASED AT ONE OF HIS MUSIC TRIPS TO EUROPE. I THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT THAT HE HAD A THIRST FOR COLLECTIBLE ART...WE WOULD FREQUENT A PRIVATE NIGHT CLUB CALLED THE DAISY. THERE I MET SONS OF THE GREATEST - BING CROSBY, DESI ARNAZ, DEAN MARTIN TO NAME A FEW...AND THEY SANG A SONG ABOUT FATHERS AND THEIR LOVE FOR THEIR SONS...SO APPROPRIATE FOR FATHER'S DAY ON THE HORIZON..RIP, TONY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Surprisingly or maybe not, this thread continues to get numerous views and visits. If anyone has memories of Tony Martin Jr, please share them here.

    I would love to do another article on Tony Jr, so if anyone has pictures or memories, you can share them here or email me at dlobo74@gmail.com.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that what with helping with Tony Jr's medical bills, and Cyd's heart condition it wiped out Tony and Cyd financially and they were pretty strapped the last few years of their lives, One of the main reasons Tony still did his performances frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now all three Martins are together, free from ailments and earthly cares.
    Bet Tony Martin is singing in an Angelic choir, since I felt his voice was heavenly while he was HERE! Thank you Tony and Cyd for years of wonderment. Would be nice to know if there is a grandchild or more. We can then maybe look forward to seeing great talent once more.

    ReplyDelete