Tuesday, June 13, 2023

THE END OF RHYTHM, SWEET & HOT

 

As you all know I love the old vintage music. Sometimes the older the better, but my favorite period of music lies between 1930 and 1950. I have a huge collection, so I have music at my fingertips. However, I still wish there were more radio shows that catered to my taste in music. Pittsburgh got rid of their nostalgia station WJAS years ago, but there was one show that satisfied my nostalgia blues and that was "Rhythm Sweet & Hot" on WDUQ. Hosted by Mike Plasket and Dale Abraham, the show ran from 6-8 on Saturday nights, and they played everything from Gene Austin to Kay Starr.

The show originally started with Ken Crawford, who sadly died in 2006. He became friends with Mike Plaskett, who worked in TV and radio and who shared Mr. Crawford's love for the same music. In 1980, they launched a program on WQED-FM. Soon after, the station changed to an all-classical format, and Mr. Crawford and Mr. Plaskett moved to WDUQ in 1981. Both worked as volunteer hosts. Mr. Crawford was last heard a month before he died on the program.

"Rhythm Sweet & Hot, after 43 years on the air is now done. A formal announcement will be made, but Mike Plaskett sent me an email confirming. The program personally meant so much to me. My Grandfather got me into this great music. In my teenage years I would record the program on cassette, some of which I still have. After my Grandfather died in 2002, the show remained a constant in my life and helped me not only discover great music, but in a way it served as a rememberance of my Grandfather. I got married in 2004, and had children in 2009 and 2012, but I continued to listen to the show religiously on Saturday nights. My wife would even tell my children - "Leave dad alone, it's Saturday night and Rhythm Sweet & Hot is on. 

I'll miss my Saturday nights with Mike and Dale. The memories of the them will not disappear or be forgotten much like the records they played...


UPDATE: Dale Abraham is continuing on the radio in a new program called "Swing And Sway". Reportedly both Dale and Mike quit the original show due to problems with management, but they managed to talk Dale into coming back. The new incarantion is enjoyable but Mike is definitely missed...

12 comments:

  1. As a long-time listener, I am shocked and saddened by this news of the end of RS&H. Your article goes into the history of the program, but sheds no light as to why- I hear Dale Abraham on the air with something called 'Swing & Sway'- but inquiring minds want to know why Mike Plaskett is suddenly out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I know why. I'll have to try to catch Dale Abraham's new show. Mike Plaskett told me he was 80 and wanted to retire with his wife, but that is all he said. He'll be missed.

      Delete
    2. For the benefit of big band fans, archived editions of RS&H is still airing Sunday mornings at 8AM Pacific/11AM Eastern on Swing Street Radio.

      Delete
    3. We would also like to know what happened to Mike. It seemed like a vanishing act. We miss RS&H.

      Delete
  2. I sure wish Mike had said goodbye to those of us who have listened to him for decades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been listening since the early 90's with Ken and Mike. Will miss Mikes voice like Bob Prince or Mike Lange!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this write up! I missed the last rsah and was definitely jarred to hear the change. I'm excited for the new show but am saddened by the transition. I too have spent years with my radio friends.

    The best jazz education you could get was free on the airwaves

    I emailed in last year to see if there was an official archive of episodes but I didn't get anywhere. For my own purposes I built a tool to record the show and put it in a podcast (linked in this post), it's only this year but it's there.

    I'd love to hear about any CDs of shows of they exist (eBay had some bootlegs back in the day but I haven't checked in a while)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg- Archived editions of Rhythm Sweet & Hot still air Sundays at 8AM Pacific/11AM Eastern at www.SwingStreetRadio.org

      Delete
  5. On occasion I would poke and prod you guys to play bigger big band hits and play better quality recordings but I must admit your show lasted for a long spell. You stood your ground so I say God bless you and "Thanks for the memories". M Yohe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so so grateful for all the wonderful hours of music provided by Mike and Dale. Thank you both! When I listened it was like my grandfather was right there with me. Nothing else makes me feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about RS&H! I began listening to it when I living in Pittsburgh. It was my Saturday night entertainment. Although I could still listen to it where I live now, it's sad the show is no more! I still truly miss WJAS, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for this post. Even if we don't have the full story about what happened, it's good to know that others are missing Mike, too. My dad grew up listening to and playing big band music in a dance band he had in college in the late 1940s, so as a couple other people said above, tuning in was like a weekly visit with my dad. So far I'm liking "Swing & Sway," but I miss the repartee between Mike and Dale, who sounded like they were having the time of their lives every week.

    ReplyDelete