Sunday, April 3, 2016

THE WIT OF STAN LAUREL

Stan Laurel (1890-1965) not only was a part of one of the funniest comedy teams of all-time, but his quiet wit was brilliant. Here are some of his timeless quotes through the years...



Humor is the truth; wit is an exaggeration of the truth.


You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be led.


I had a dream that I was awake and I woke up to find myself asleep.


If you had a face like mine, you'd punch me right on the nose, and I'm just the fella to do it.


If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again!


A friend once asked me what comedy was. That floored me. What is comedy? I don't know. Does anybody? Can you define it? All I know is that I learned how to get laughs, and that's all I know about it. You have to learn what people will laugh at, then proceed accordingly.


What business do we have telling people who to vote for? They probably know more about it than we do.


Just before he died, Laurel told his nurse he would like to go skiing. The nurse said "Are you a skier, Mr Laurel?". He replied, "I'm not, but I'd rather be doing that than having these needles stuck in me". A few minutes later he died.


No comments:

Post a Comment