Monday, August 2, 2010

RIP: MARGARET M. LENHART (1916-2010)

The vocalist who sang for Virginia Dale in HOLIDAY INN(1942) and on the Decca recordings of the songs has passed away...

Margaret M. Lenhart of Poulsbo
Nov. 7, 1916 - July 27, 2010

Singer- Ms. Margaret M. Lenhart, born in Renton, WA, became a star singer on network radio after winning the "Gateway to Hollywood" contest in the early 30's. A featured soloist on the Camel Caravan on NBC she also performed on a number of recordings among them the original "Holiday Inn" with Bing Crosby.

She is survived by 3 children: Diana McArdle, Valerie Phimister, and Dan Erlenborn, grandmother of 8: Cathy, Tim, Gary, Jeanette, Stephen, Chelsie, Hope, and Tess; great grandmother of 5: Crystal, Rachel, Sydney, Rowan, and Harper.

A memorial service will be held at The Stone Chapel Poulsbo Mortuary, 22272 Foss Rd NE Poulsbo, WA, August 11th at 11 AM.

An online memorial can be viewed at www.lewischapel.com


3 comments:

  1. I had the pleasure of caring for her during her last few years.She was an amazing woman with the most amazing life story.I would sit.with her for hours and listen to her.She was so sweet and giving.Though I only knew her a short time, she made an inpact on my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am researching a song my Uncle wrote that Ms. Lenhart may have sang. "It's Springtime, Elaine." Would anyone have information about this?

      Delete
  2. To any of her children. I came across a picture of your mom Margaret Lenhart. It is framed and was signed to what appears to be a Michael R Lucas crediting him with writing a song she sang, The Light Of Love.
    I don't want to just throw it away. Trying to get it to it's rightful place in the family.
    Please email me to get it to you. I don't want anything for it, but to the children only. No collectors etc.
    Sorry but I have to kind of disguise my email to avoid spam, you should be able to figure it out.
    ofj3rd at g mail dot com
    Hope this finds her family

    ReplyDelete