Tuesday, June 25, 2024

AN HONOR FOR CAROL BURNETT


"I remember, I was 10 or 11 years old, and I would put my handprints on Betty Grable's hands, and now they have mine 80 years later," Burnett told our blog.

Carol Burnett is returning to her roots.

On Thursday, June 20, Burnett got her hand and footprints cemented at the famous TCL Chinese Theater in Hollywood — and it felt like a blast from the past, she told us. The actress, 91, says she grew up right down the street, and frequented the area often with her grandmother as a child.


“When I was a little girl, I was raised here, just on Yucca and Wilcox, Hollywood Boulevard was my street,” she recalls. “I remember, I was 10 or 11 years old, and I would put my handprints on Betty Grable's hands, and now they have mine 80 years later. Who knew?”

The Annie alum says being there for her own ceremony felt surreal, and she couldn’t help but feel like she was a kid again.

“When I put my hands down there today, I went back to Betty Grable, when I did it with them,” she explains. “All of a sudden I was a little girl again, putting my hands on Betty Grable's prints.”

“This is my roots,” noting that after living in the heart of Hollywood for 21 years, it is “quite a trip” to be in the position she admired so much.

“This [handprint] and then the Star on Hollywood Boulevard is in front of a theater where I worked as an usher,” she reveals. “So I’ve come full circle.”


In her speech, Burnett let out a little secret she had about the TCL theater — one she and her grandmother kept between them. She revealed that after they would splurge to see a Betty Grable movie, they'd get their money's worth from the experience.

"Before we'd leave, my grandmother said, 'Well, let's hit the ladies' room,'" she said before revealing: "So we would go in there and steal all the toilet paper. And she said, 'Well, we'll be set for another month.'"

Burnett was supported by her costars Laura Dern (Palm Royale) and Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul) at the event, along with Dick Van Dyke, who appeared on The Carol Burnett show, which ran from 1967 to 1978. Jimmy Kimmel also spoke in her honor...



No comments:

Post a Comment